Monday, November 8, 2010

Sticks and Stones....AND Words Can Hurt

"Sticks & stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me." We were all taught that saying as young children. But as we grew up, we learned that really wasn't the case. We learned that words can tear down any relationship or they can build it stronger.

"The tongue has the power of life & death. Those who love to talk will reap the consequences."
 Proverbs 18:21 (NIV/NLT)


When i'm angry or hurt, i have been known to lash out &/or be defensive. But i have learned to go to the Lord in prayer when this happens. And i am trying to go to the Lord, before i say things that i regret. I vent to Him. I pour my heart out to Him. I've found that when i do that, He changes my heart & brings me to a place of calmness & repentance. I might still be a little mad, but i'm able to let go of the anger &/or pain & move on. If the situation calls for it, i'm able to talk to the person in a calm & loving manner & the relationship heals.


Scripture tells us that God's words have the power of life. In Genesis, we learn that God created the entire world with His spoken words.


"And God said, 'let there be light' & there was light."
Genesis 1:3 (NIV)


John 1:1 tells us that Jesus is the Word. All through the Gospels, Jesus heals people with the power of His words. In the same manner, God wants our words to heal & build relationships. We can choose the words we will sow, words of life, or words of death, & we will live with the consequences.....good or bad.


Three things to ask God to help you with to sow words of life:
     *Communicate in ways that will build up relationships.
     *Hold your tongue when you're about to say something that will hurt, or tear down a relationship.
     *Don't let pride, stubbornness, selfishness, or any other sin, prevent you from speaking words that will heal or build up a relationship.


"May the words of my mouth & the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in Your sight, O Lord, my Rock & my Redeemer."
Psalm 19:14 (NIV)


Guided by God's wisdom & love, may your words to & about another build a protective wall around your relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment