Monday, January 31, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom

This blog post is going in a little different direction today. Today would have been my mom's 92nd birthday. 
"Honor your father & mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live long & that it may go well with you in the land of the Lord you God is giving you."
Deuteronomy 5:16 (NIV)

So today's post is a tribute to my mom. Though she's been gone for many years, she'll always be in my heart & i thank her for so many things. (First off, i need to interject here, that most of my pictures are packed away. This one was handy for me to scan this morning. The Lord does work in mysterious & wonderful ways. As i just did the math, i realized that mom, in this picture, was the same age as i am right now. Coincidence?  I don't think so.)

I believe that i get my creative gene from her. She was constantly sewing of knitting. Now i didn't inherit the sewing or knitting gene, but that's ok. We all have our own niche to fill. Growing up, she made so many of my clothes & clothes for my Barbie Dolls. =) And even as i sit here on the couch, i have a blue afghan over my legs & yes, it was made by Mom.

It's funny how the older we get, the more we remind ourselves of our parents. There are days that i look in the mirror & see my mom. My biggest weakness in shopping is stationery items....pens, paper, cards, etc. Every time i go to Staples, Office Max, or anyplace like that, i have to browse all the goodies & usually buy more than i intend to...or need. We also both loved to read. I came home from work one day & she had been to a yard sale & the trunk of her car was full of boxes of books. She had gotten them all for $5 - a dollar a box. We had a ball going through them. I am only sorry that i didn't discover Lillian Jackson Braun's "The Cat Who..." books or Janet Evanovich, while she was alive, so i could have shared them with her too.

But the most important part of the legacy that Mom left me, was the love of our Lord. She made sure i went to Sunday School & learned all the stories. And as i got older & more "independent", she still got me to church whether i wanted to be there or not. And i am so thankful that she did. She instilled the extremely strong roots of faith in me. So strong that when i strayed, i was able to climb out of that lifestyle on those strong roots. I now stand tall on those roots. The roots of faith. The roots of God

Thanks Mom!
Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment