Monday, April 18, 2011

Feeling Empty?

I heard a song the other day that sounded so familiar, yet i'd never heard this song before. The chorus was what i had prayed for years ago. There were countless times then, that i felt so empty & alone.


"Dear God, won't you please
Could you send someone who will love me

"Who will love me for me
Not for what i have done or what I will become
Who will love me for me
'Cause nobody has shown me
What love really means"
(from the song "Love Me" by JJ Heller)

At those times in my life, i would fantasize about an ever after kind of love. When you are dating, you sometimes wonder if you'll ever find true love. 

I'm sure the majority of us can remember at least one date when we thought the evening would never end. In some what the same respect, before we allow the Lord in our lives, we may try different things to fill that hole of emptiness in our lives. We may even try other religions, but we still find ourselves "coming home" from those "dates" disappointed & still feeling empty. If we try to fill up the emptiness with things of this world, we will find...

"All of it is meaningless, a chasing of the wind."
Ecclesiastes 2:17b (NIV)

We feel the pain of that emptiness & after the "pursuit", we find ourselves even emptier than when we began. The damage that can be done by looking for love - for fulfillment - in all the wrong places. Oh it may seem exciting at the time. You may even listen to your sub-conscience & know that what you're doing isn't right. But at the same time, you convince yourself that the consequences won't be so bad. Don't give in to vanity & try to fool yourself. We are to enjoy God's gifts of beauty, food & sex - but none were ever meant to be abused. And none of them will ever fill our deepest need & emptiness.

We all want to be cherished for who we are.

"What a man desires is unfailing love."
Proverbs 19:22a (NIV)

Yet, the Bible also tells us that this kind of love is exceedingly rare.

"Many a man claims to have unfailing love,
but a faithful man, who can find?"
Proverbs 20:6 (NIV)

I know that the romantic heartbreaks that i've experienced in my life was just God protecting me. Because those heart breakers were not God's choice for me. And yes, those experiences did cause some self-esteem issues. But once i surrendered my heart & my life to God & accepted Jesus as my Lord & Saviour, God used His time & His truth to heal those deep wounds & make me stronger in Him. He more than filled the emptiness that i had felt & He showed me that He cherished me. He allowed me to grow as a Christian & as a woman. He helped me carry the baggage that i had until i learned that i didn't need that baggage anymore. And, in His time, He introduced me to a wonderful God fearing man who loves me for me.

My prayer for all who may be feeling empty & alone, is that you will find your fulfillment through Jesus Christ. That you will ask Him into your heart & allow Him to show that you are cherished.







No comments:

Post a Comment